After the railroad system reached Asheville in 1881, the population of the city grew from 2,000 to 10,000. In response to this population influx, Asheville began a public School System in 1888, which originally consisted of a high school and three elementary schools. The elementary schools were the Orange Street School (currently occupied by NC DOT offices), Queen Carson Elementary School (currently occupied by a bus garage) and Montford Avenue School (replaced by the current William Randolph Elementary in the early 1950s). The high school was located at the corner of Broadway and Woodfin Street, in what had been the private home of Nicholas Woodfin. After use for educational purposes ceased about 1923 this structure was the downtown YMCA until a new structure was built further east on Woodfin about 1970, and the old building torn down. The former high school campus is currently occupied by a bank. The City of Asheville built two structures in the early 1920s, Hall Fletcher in West Asheville and David Millard, on Oak Street, adjacent to First Baptist Church, which, together, were known as Asheville High School. The David Millard Campus occupied a portion of the grounds of a former girls' school, with the balance of the former school grounds covered by the Church. Athletic teams and extracurricular clubs were drawn from both campuses. The former site of David Millard is currently covered by One Oak Plaza and the extension of Charlotte Street, and the West Asheville campus is currently occupied by a new Hall Fletcher Elementary School. The current University of North Carolina - Asheville began in 1927 as a two-year college, known as Asheville-Biltmore College, using classrooms on the ground floor of David Millard.